A works permit must be approved prior to any works requiring the use of Council land for access to services, private property or for any other reason, to carry out works. This includes road reserves, medians, footpaths, nature strips or verges and parks and reserves. Fees and charges in line with Council’s fees and charges will apply to all permits.
Works in the road reserve includes but is not limited to;
- driveway construction
- stormwater connection (plan required)
- service installation
- use of crane in road reserve
- public car park use
- fencing on road reserve
It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide a minimum of 5 working days’ notice to Council. Road closures require 10 days notice. The period of 5 days for approval is on the basis that all information is received and plan approvals have already been obtained from Council.
- Fill out the works permit application and return it with any supporting information to City of Darwin, note the conditions of approval, these are agreed by you when submitting the permit.
- The form will be assessed by a City of Darwin Officer who will contact you with any queries regarding the permit or special conditions to be placed on the permit. A security bond may also be required.
- Payment requirements will be emailed to you (the applicant) once the permit is assessed.
- Once payment is received an approved works permit will be sent to you, this will include and special conditions, which must be adhered to in order for the permit to be valid.
- You may commence works only after receiving the approved works permit.
- Once works commence, all hold points are to be adhered to as stated in the conditions of approval and special conditions.
The issue of the permit is subject to the standard conditions of approval agreed to with submitting of the permit and any special conditions associated with works deemed to be necessary and stated by Council.
The permit will be applicable for work hours between 7am to 7pm Monday to Saturday and 9am to 6pm Sunday and Public holidays unless otherwise approved by Council. Council may restrict these hours depending on the location and type of works.
All works involving the placement of infrastructure within Council roads and reserved requires plan approval prior to a work permit application being submitted.
The applicant is responsible for determining the location of all services and equipment of public authorities in the vicinity of the works described and to take all steps necessary to protect any such equipment and services which may be located within the area (it is recommended to contact Dial Before You Dig 1100 before submitting a works permit form.)
All necessary safety precautions and requirements relating to the use of signs, barriers, hoardings and warning devices for works in progress currently specified by the Standards Association of Australia, Work Health and Safety and as directed by Council must be adhered to.
Traffic / pedestrian management plans & diagrams are to be compiled by a person with level 1 work zone traffic management accreditation and must be supplied with the written works permit. Any persons setting up or manning traffic control must have Level 2 & 3 work zone traffic management accreditation. Email: email@example.com or call 08 8980 3646 for additional information regarding traffic control plans.
The applicant is responsible for the reinstatement of road reserve, nature strip and park surfaces to City of Darwin standards.
It is an offence to carry out any works on Council land without permission, infringements will apply.
If you require more information please contact City of Darwin on 08 8930 0300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.