Changes to Taxi Ranks
A recent review of taxi rank areas in Darwin’s city centre has revealed a need to make some changes to the locations of the ranks to improve functionality. The review surveyed the actual usage of taxi ranks at various times and days.
Where will the new taxi ranks be?
The existing taxi rank on Knuckey Street (outside the old Woolies building) will remain, with space for up to five taxis.
The new taxi ranks in Darwin are proposed at the following sites:
- Smith Street – outside the ANZ bank, in the Daly Street direction, with space for up to five taxis
- Peel Street – to accommodate the Mitchell Street area, a new six-space rank is proposed for Peel Street, between Smith Street and Mitchell Street
- Mitchell Street – a three-space rank outside the Mitchell Centre (in the Daly Street direction)
- Night-time taxi ranks (6.00pm to 6.00am) are to be created for two taxis at Edmunds Street (behind the old Woolies building) and on Mitchell Street (outside Discovery nightclub)
Which existing taxi ranks will be closed?
Some of the existing taxi ranks are to be changed to Zone A parking bays for general use. These include:
- The current five-space taxi rank outside the cinema on Mitchell Street
- The three-space taxi rank on Mitchell Street outside Crocosaurus Cove
- The two-space taxi rank on Smith Street next to the CBD Plaza (Woolworths shopping centre) in the Knuckey Street direction
View the map showing the new taxi rank areas
Read the Darwin CBD Parking Strategy