Enjoy selecting popular titles from the comfort of home
City of Darwin Libraries now offers two collections of downloadable eBooks and eAudiobooks including best-selling novels, well-known classics, travel guides, and much more.
Easy to use
No late fees
Before you start borrowing and downloading eBooks and eAudiobooks you will need:
- A current City of Darwin Library membership number and your password.
- A compatible device with an internet connection.
- The relevant free software or app installed on your device.
- For Macs and PCs download Adobe Digital Editions. Titles can then be transferred to a variety of eBook devices.
- For compatible tablets or smartphones: the Overdrive Media Console and/or BorrowBox apps which can be downloaded free from your device’s app store (e.g. iTunes or Google Play).
- You will also need to register for an Adobe User ID.
How it works
- Browse or search the digital collections: Overdrive or BorrowBox.
- Download to a tablet using the Overdrive or BorrowBox apps.
- Transfer to eReading devices from your computer using Adobe Digital Editions.
- You can borrow up to eight ebooks and eight eaudiobooks from BorrowBox. You can borrow up to eight items from Overdrive.
- Maximum loan period is 21 days (Overdrive) or 14 days (BorrowBox).
- Titles will be automatically returned at the end of the lending period.
- Renewals are not available. However, items may be borrowed again.
If you reside within the NT and wish to join City of Darwin Libraries for the sole purpose of accessing eResources, including eBooks without visiting your library in person, just complete an Online Membership Form to receive a library card.
Why isn’t the Kindle eReader compatible with the libraries eBook and eAudiobook service?
Currently there is NO Kindle eBook lending platform available to Australian public libraries. Without it being available, we simply cannot offer such a service. The Kindle is a proprietary product sold by Amazon. It uses its own particular software and Amazon requires Australian Kindle users to purchase their books through the Amazon store.
If you want to give Amazon feedback about their Australian Kindle policy you can email Amazon directly via this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am not a City of Darwin Libraries member, can I borrow from your digital library?
You must be a City of Darwin Libraries member to borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks. If you reside within the NT and wish to join City of Darwin Libraries for the sole purpose of accessing eResources, including eBooks, without visiting your library in person, just complete an Online Membership Form to receive a library card.
Can I return a borrowed eBook early?
Why aren't all books available as eBooks?
Several major publishers have chosen not to sell eBooks to libraries.
Where can I get more help?
The City of Darwin Libraries will try to assist you with your eBook and eAudiobook queries. We have weekly sessions at Casuarina Library 9.00 - 10.00 am Fridays and the City Library 9.00 - 10.00 am Saturdays. No bookings are required, just bring your device with you. Alternatively, please contact your Library and make an appointment for a one-on-one help session.